Sunday, April 20, 2008

Winter Reads

Each quarter, I give a recap of the books I read the previous quarter. While I didn’t have a lot of time this quarter, due to marketing tasks, I did manage to read a handful of books. Here’s my Winter 2008 list:

Memories of My Melancholy Whores; Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- I don’t think he’s the “writer” he’s reputed to be; I don’t think the translation was all that good (Edith Grossman). But I did like the laid-back, old-timer storytelling.

For One More Day; Mitch Albom
- Having recently lost my father, I knew this book would be a different read. For a mainstream bestseller, I do think Albom is better than most. A good, earnest read.

From Worst to First (non-fiction).
- I loved this book, simply because it was all about my beloved Twins. (Well, and the Atlanta Braves as well, but…)

All I Want for Christmas; Nora Roberts
- I’ll never understand the fascination with Nora Roberts; in my opinion, she’s nothing but a Harlequin romance writer that’s gained some exposure. She’s cheap, she’s lazy, she’s overrated. I thought this book sucked, but I had to see what all the fuss is about. Bad move.

Dubliners; James Joyce
- Awesome. Being 50% Irish, I couldn’t help but love this story. It’s always wonderful to read a classic (Hemingway, Emerson, Fitzgerald) that isn’t over-hyped or overrated. Joyce is great, and Dubliners is his best.


That’s all I had time for this winter.

Until next time…

Peace & Luv

NP

###

If you enjoy strong-but-feminine women, sexy love stories, hot romance stories, romantic fiction, romance novels, sensual fiction, women's fiction, sentimental fiction, great novellas, award-winning fiction, Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, or Richard Paul Evans, you can read a sample of Nelson's Bronte Prize-winning novella, Bee Balms & Burgundy, right now for free HERE. (See for yourself why it beat out Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, and Richard Paul Evans, among others, for the title of "North America's Best Love Story of the Year." [Bronte Prize results are HERE.])